Focus on Pioneering Industries – Health/Biotechnology/Medical Technology/Life Sciences
Highly, specialised companies offer products and technology or services in the biotechnology, media technology and life sciences industry.
Key aspects of the Cluster structure in the region are:
- the medical faculty of the University of Leipzig is the second oldest medical training facility in Germany
- a number of, in part, highly specialized hospitals with modern treatment and operation techniques – among others the St. Georg Clinic (since 1213) and the Heart Center Leipzig
- the activities in the biotechnology/life sciences department and the research of regenerative medicine
- a highly specialized biotechnological-biomedical center – the BIO CITY LEIPZIG
- research institutes like the Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology (IZI), the Biotechnological-
Biomedical Center (BBZ) of the University of Leipzig and the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
By participating in the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) competition “Future Health Region” the region has the chance to strengthen and expand their potential for the development of the health care industry.
- long tradition of medical research and training at the University of Leipzig as well as the settlement of
excellent research institutes
- regional health care with numerous, partially highly specialised, medical facilities and a number of interregional health care centres